Short history – mathematics

Short history – mathematics 2018-06-25T14:42:50+00:00

The Mathematics and Physics Department was founded in 1959, when a few separate sections merged to form the department of General Subjects. It has existed as an independent department since 1972. In 1976 the department obtained rooms in the eastern part of the Academy, where it resides to this day.

The department has at its disposal a lecture hall, two laboratories in physics and a methodological hall. The educational facilities have been entirely prepared by the lecturers. Until 1972 the department was headed by Christo Gramchev, a lecturer in mathematics at the Academy from 1939. The next department heads were Zhelyo Zhelev (until 1984), Associate Prof. Yordan Dimitrov (until 1999). In 2000 the department merged with the Information Technologies department under Associate Prof. Ivancho Yordanov. In 2011 it became an independent department again, headed by Associate Prof. Petya Karklisiyska. Since 2016 the department has been headed by Associate Prof. Tatyana Madzharova.

The department provides fundamental preparation to the civilian students and military cadets at the Academy. The quality of that preparation is evidenced by the numerous prestigious awards in physics and mathematics won by the Academy’s teams at national competitions.


The beginning of the century,

awards won by NVNA Physics team

in National competitions