Information and Communication Technologies in the Maritime Industry is a new major at Nikola Y. Vaptsarov Naval Academy. It helps prepare specialists in information technology, which has widely penetrated all areas of the maritime business. The broad-based educational program gives the students who complete it an opportunity for professional realization as IT specialists also in industries other than the maritime.
The specialized education is focused mainly on system administration and telecommunication, including computer networks. The following specializations are available:
- Operating System (Linux) – basic preparation and system administration based on the courses LPI (Linux Professional Institute)
- Operating System Windows Server – installation, administration and configuration of services, based on the courses of Microsoft IT Academy.
- Data transmission, computer communication and computer networks, covering the first four courses of the academic program of Cisco CCNA – Routing & Switching” for the preparation of CCNA network specialists.
- Telecommunication technology, mobile (wireless), cell, digital trunked radio, and satellite systems. Additional electives: Radio waves and Radio lines, Antennae and Microwave Technology
Programming and Database Management Systems (DBMS):
- Task algorithms, object-oriented programming
- Database Management Systems (DBMS) – My SQL (MySQL), based on the courses of Microsoft IT Academy
The additional specialized education is focused on Electronics and computer hardware
Additional maritime-oriented education is a free-choice elective and can include: Maritime Affairs; History of Shipping, Sailing and Yachting; Global Maritime Distress and Safety Systems (GDMSS); Vessel Traffic Management and Information Services (VTMIS).
The students will undergo thorough education in English. Depending on their level of command of English, the students will have up to 420 study hours of the language, which will ensure the solid foundation of their knowledge of English.
The opportunities for professional realization of the B. S. in Information and Communication Technologies in the Maritime Industry are in the fields of system administration, telecommunication, network communication and network administration, as well as in the fields of electronics, computer hardware and programming.
The content of the disciplines is based on the courses of the academic programs of Cisco Networking Academy and Microsoft IT Academy. This way, the students have the opportunity to obtain internationally acknowledged certificates in the field of Information Technology. For this purpose, the Naval Academy has centers of Pearson VUE and Prometric. Obtaining internationally acknowledged IT certificates during their education is a guarantee for the successful professional realization of the students both in Bulgaria and all over the world, including India and Pakistan.
During the past 20 years, India has become a force to be reckoned with in the global IT market. According to India’s National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM), over the last decade alone, the IT sector in India has grown from the impressive $60 billion to the even more impressive $147 billion in revenue. With its well-educated and inexpensive manpower, India has become a global BPO hub. In Pakistan, there is an increasing interest in developing the IT sector, as well as in IT education. Nikola Y. Vaptsarov Naval Academy provides educational opportunities for those interested in professional realization in the IT sector in India or Pakistan.