The department was founded on 17.02.1944. Since then by virtue of a law “Ship engineering” graduates have received higher special maritime technical education.
The first department head from the foundation of the department to 1955 was Captain eng. Koycho Minchev. Department “Ship power plants” has had 15 heads so far. Since 2014 it has been headed by ass.prof. PhD Rumen Zhechev Stoyanov. Over 50 experienced certified lecturers have worked in the department. They have left their mark in the training of thousands of well-prepared specialists, sailing all over the world.